Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Me vs the china shop

The interview was going fine. It was barely an interview, really --more like teasing out a couple of quotes for a story about the 72 Hour Film Challenge.

The event is new and maybe hasn't received a lot of attention outside of a fairly tight circle, but it seemed like something different, something unusual --and Uncle Bill supports the odd. It's almost a religion.

At the end of the conversation, the guy told me, "You should enter."

"I don't know anything about that stuff." A bald lie. I do know a very little about film --more about editing and some about writing for film or television.

"You could do this. You're a creative guy."

"I don't have time."

He reminded me it was 500 bucks for first prize then a couple of people I worked with suggested how it might be done. I know how it could be done... so, maybe. Uncle Bill makes a movie? It has potential.

Meanwhile, I'm supposed to meet with someone from the Arts Council about setting up a poetry slam. It's something I've been batting around for a while. I've been reading a lot of poetry and writing some. Poetry is spoken word. It needs a live audience and I figured with as many writers there are in this town, maybe such a thing might draw them out.

Others have pointed out that this has been tried periodically and it's often failed. I'm okay with failure. It's in the trying that things eventually are born, I guess --and the way I see it, I'm sort of a poster child for what is possible, if you're a writer who tries.

If I can do it, if I can stand up there and read off one of my ugly literary mutants, anybody can do it.

This is the kind of thing where being good isn't required. You just have to not care if you fail.

No comments: