Monday, May 11, 2009

Shoes

Luck changing from bad to something else is like a fever breaking. It's suddenly realizing the headache is gone and while you still may be sweating, might be exhausted, you know when you go to sleep you're probably going to wake up.

The end of winter was pretty hard. My blood pressure was through the roof. I was tired, stressed out and really coming apart, but then it was over. Oh sure, things are still a mess. My phone has been turned off for two weeks. A few bills are a little on the late-ish side. Meals at home got very creative for a little while, but the kids hate my cooking so it's not like they noticed.

Over the weekend, I bought a new pair of shoes --the first new shoes I've owned in two years and they fit. Man, you don't know how good it feels to just wear something that didn't cost two dollars at a yard sale, something that isn't falling apart, something that doesn't have some obvious flaw you're ignoring for the sake of economy. The shoes weren't a lavish expenditure. They were just a pair of $30 athletic shoes: a bargain, actually. They make me want to walk, go places, explore... to do everything except fall down.

It's all little steps toward things getting better.

No comments: