Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Clarification

As has been pointed out to me (which I already knew, really), when the AP or the Daily Mail decides to pick up one of my articles, gut it and reprint it as their own, they are completely within their rights.

The Gazette is a member of the AP (standing for Associated Press) and we all kind of share. Other members of the AP can reprint without crediting anyone except the AP, which is the organization.

Basically, it ain't plagiarism, which I never said it was. I just said they reprinted it without crediting me with actually writing it. This is their right, but it would naturally tend to irritate -just the kind of guy I am.

Probably, I ought not to have yelped as it will likely discourage someone from reprinting my stories in the future. That's the karma of it, but the way I look at it. If my name isn't on something I wrote, having it reprinted isn't going to mean much to me. If I liked being anonymous, I would never have attached my real name to this here blog. I can't enjoy it, but I suppose I can work on not giving a shit about that kind of thing when it does rarely happen.

4 comments:

moneytastesbad said...

Thats a load of shit if you ask me. What would it hurt to add your name to the byline?

Anonymous said...

Exactly. You'd think it would be a professional courtesy.

I mean, how do writers create a resume' if you get no credit for what you write? Anyone could lay claim to any article labeled "AP." How's that supposed to work?

primalscreamx said...

No idea about the whys of such things, only that I am bound by them. I guess if we're all seen as contributing to the AP, then the AP is this all-knowing, all-singing, all-dancing thing and that probably makes it more comfortable and more credible to the reader.
One of these days, maybe random papers will be thrilled to include my name on something I write, but that day doesn't get to be today.

The Film Geek said...

Resolution # 7...