Wednesday, October 27, 2010

watching the wheels

Well, it doesn't appear that I'll be going to San Diego. There was an opportunity to go out west for a workshop/conference on addiction. Scholarships were available. It wouldn't have cost me or the paper a dime, but I should have heard back days ago. There is zero chance of the newspaper sending me. They just don't do that.

I just don't have the resources or support to make it happen. Even getting a passport is a little on the pricey side for me at the moment and it needs to get done now if I want any shot at going, but there isn't a shot. If they're interested, West Virginia Public Broadcasting will send one or two of their newsies to conduct interviews. If not, Mountain Stage may bring along one of their people to run camera.

This is also something the newspaper would not be interested in footing the bill for.

On the upside, of all the places I'd go for fun, a conference on drugs or Scotland in the dead of winter probably aren't on the top of my list. Of course, novelty and adventure scan pretty high for me. I don't do very well with planning trips --so trips on business, with some purpose other than to just see the place have a kind of appeal, a purpose.

It's disappointing. I'm looking and hoping the paths to the places I want to go will open up. There are definitely places I want to go, people I want to see, things I want to experience. The world is a big place, but it's remarkable how big it is when you can't seen to go any farther than your front door.

No comments: