Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Cash Money

A couple of setbacks today. Anybody who follows the blog even casually probably gets the idea that idea that I stay broke. The math has always been against me. It's worse since the economy went south and the utility rates went north. I'm also not getting the kind of hours I need at the radio station. They made some schedule adjustments that have pretty much cut me out of picking up too many extra shifts. It's not like they meant to cut me off. It just happened that way. They're going to somebody else now.

So, I've been looking for a second job again and looking into other means to secure funding to support my third world kind of life.

My two best options of late... selling blood (which doesn't pay a lot, but wouldn't take much time) has pretty much fallen through. The documents they need to fill out their paperwork have gone missing. I can replace them, but it will take time and of course, nobody seems particularly enthusiastic about me bleeding for money.

The other option is pulling the sandman shift as a dorm desk clerk at UC, working 10 p.m. to 3 a.m.. This would mostly entail me watching students sneak their girlfriends and beer into their dorm rooms. This one pays 7.25 an hour and I'd get 25 hours a week. The upside is it wouldn't interfere with my wife's night classes or my day job The downside, naturally, is I'd be the living dead and would have to work for college housing administrators. It's also limited to the school year and clearly, I have little but contempt for the job even before I fill out the application.

So... it's probably not a good fit.

Of course, all my worldly financial problems could be solved if I could just sell my book, but still, nobody is biting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't know what it's like there but selling plasma here is close to an all-day event.
The first time through - tests and paperwork - it takes about four to eight hours. After that, you can't schedule and appointment to give, so you walk in and wait. And wait. And wait. The process is on average four to eight hours each time.

Max said...

Man the situation you're finding yourself in is all too common among people who aren't part of the global elite.
Just go ask Obama for help paying your bills, haha that's a joke.
We are regular readers of both sites, and we wish you and yours the best.
But we'd rather sell plasma than work at UC.

primalscreamx said...

As it turns out, me, too.