Thursday, July 2, 2009

46

Eek... another slow week. I'm falling behind.
Much of this is my own fault. I've picked up a couple of books that are not quick, easy reads. On my honor, I promise to fill my head with nothing but mush through most of July and all of August. That should catch me up.

50/50: Secrets I learned running 50 marathons in 50 days and how you can achieve super endurance! : Dean Karnazes - Well, what can I say about this one? I didn't much like it. The secrets Dean learned could be gleaned from a random copy of Runner's World found at a dental office. Nothing really of note and not even a lot of drama, just a pretty dry story about a guy who convinced North Face to sponsor a promotional run in 50 states in 50 days and how at the end of it, he ran from New York to Indiana just because.

Improving my fitness has been one of my goals for years and lately, I've been giving it a try. I'm eating better, getting to the gym a couple of times a week and trying to get a few hours of sleep a night. I call this the Captain America by Christmas plan --the idea being I'll be in comic book superhero shape in roughly six months. It's laughable, which makes it fun.

Dean almost seems like a normal guy, but obviously he isn't. Normal people do not run a hundred miles in a day or do ultra marathons on a regular basis for fun. Normal people watch C.S.I.: Fresno, eat cookie dough out of a plastic sack then jerk off to the weather report before nodding off.

The perception is because I thought he was one of the common people, he'd have some answers, some ideas. The only idea he had was the same one I have, which is just to get moving. Kind of a let down. I should have kicked this one to the curb, but I was too far in by the time I realized it was going nowhere.

No comments: