Friday, April 10, 2009

Happy

Just got a note from my wife. My sister-in-law has two publishers offering her $25,000 for the children's book she wrote last fall.

It's a great break for her. She's a special education teacher who works with autistic kids. She rescues animals and has had rotten luck with cars, places to live and her weird girlfriend. She's put in the time, too. As long as I've known her, she's always maintained an impressive discipline toward her writing schedule. She gets her ass in the chair to write.

$25,000 will come in handy and maybe it will give her the financial power to take care of a few things and treat herself a little. It's validation because the awful truth is "it ain't art until it's paid for." The deal, whichever one she takes, is also great encouragement because if you can do it once, you can do it twice, and if you can do it twice, you can do it as much as you want.

This is a great day for her. She deserves this. She's earned it. I'm proud of her. Her entire family is proud of her.

I'm just so God damned happy. Clearly, my karma has cancer.

No comments: