Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Second... er Third Job Blues...

"Anything?"

"Well, just the one thing. One of the doughnut places is looking for someone to work third shift. That would work with the night classes and with keeping up the stuff with the kids."

Thoughtful pause.

"When do you think you'd sleep?"

"It would only be part-time. I couldn't do that every night."

Irritated silence.

"It would kill you. Remember when you used to get sick and stay sick for two months? Maybe, do you think, it had to do with not getting enough rest? You're too old to work overnights."

Meaningful contemplation of my apparent imminent mortality.

"It would only be part-time."

"You're not allowed to die on me and aren't you on some kind of low-carb diet? How does working around doughnuts fit in with not eating bread."

"I wouldn't eat the stuff."

Disbelieving silence.

"You don't believe that."

She's right. I don't.

No comments: