Thursday, June 18, 2009

6-18-09

So, it's my birthday...

It could have been worse. So far, there has not been bloodshed. I did get taken to lunch and I had pie for breakfast. Coworkers hooked me up with a couple of nice and weird birthday cards, and I spent part of the morning dressed in lederhosen.

This is all in the plus column.

In the minus column, it's been a rough week at points and the very thoughtful card my grandmother sent me was lost and probably devoured by our new dog --along with the check inside. Ouch.

It doesn't matter. I'm not meant to have two dimes to rub together. This is my lot.

There are no big plans tonight: no party, no celebration of any kind. I'll go home and make dinner after I buy some groceries. My mantra today has been: no matter what, you shouldn't have to eat beans on your birthday. After that, I'll do a load of laundry, wash up the dishes, clean up after the dog and help get everyone to bed. If it's not too late, I'll write for an hour or two, play my computer game (thanks again Corey) or catch up on my reading. I'll stay up until I can't stand being awake any longer, until the dark is deep and the quiet strangles the sound of even the crickets.

So much for 39.

At least, this year I wasn't overdrawn at the bank, wasn't sick, and didn't have to work tonight. Nothing I've written today should result in legal action. Overall, this one goes in the plus column. It was good enough.

5 comments:

Corey Lake said...

I can only wish you an unremarkable birthday. May it not be interesting in anyway!b

Paige said...

Well have the best possible birthday you can! And just remember, it could be worse, you could be me and have to go pick Jesco and Mamie up tomorrow.

Jody said...

Any pics of you in the lederhosen?

primalscreamx said...

Of course, there are pics.
Freak.

eclectic guy said...

Happy B Day Bill.

There is an expression," when the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers."

I chased the guitar publishing dream and finally one Canadian publisher bit, but it is a horrible arrangement. It was not what I thought I would be.