Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blood: Fatty

The tech stared at the little plastic tube and turned it over slowly under the light. No one had ever done that before.

She'd just taken it from the centrifuge, where they usually got the protein content. This, however, was something new.

"What?"

She shook her head and pointed out the cloudy substance on the far end, away from the blood.

"There's some fat in your blood."

And my stomach dropped a bit. What the fuck?

"Is that bad?"

She didn't say.

"It's not a lot," she told me. "See." And I looked. "It's this milky stuff here."

I could barely see it, but it was there.

"How did that happen? I had oatmeal for breakfast. I ate beans (as usual) for dinner last night. I had a salad for lunch (and some cookies)."

She laughed. I was getting way too worked up.

"Well, yeah, eventually it is something you ate." She looked at me. "It's not terrible. It won't stop you from donating, but I've seen some come in here that are really bad. It probably means you need to drink some lemon juice or something to break it up."

Lemon juice? I'm supposed to drink lemon juice?

No comments: