Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Legal Aid-take two

I called again. A very nice lady asked me why I needed the aid. I stumbled over the explanation, spoke in a low voice, and answered her questions.

"How do you receive your income?"

-I work. A couple of jobs, though one is just a night or two every week.

"How much do you make?"

-Um... I'm going to guess and say I make 2500 a month. I don't get to keep any of it. Childcare, rent, stuff like that.

"How many people in your household?"

-Four, not including two cats. There were fish, but tragically all of them recently died.

She was quiet for a second while she did the math. It only took a second.

"I'm sorry. You make a little too much."

-I kind of thought that would be the way it would be. I figured I fell in that sweet spot.

"I'm sorry."

-It's not your fault. I don't make enough money, but I make too much. You were really nice. Thanks.

"Good luck."

She hung up.

This is hard. I've gotten a couple of encouraging notes over the last few days, good people with hopeful suggestions, but I'm trying to keep it in perspective. Lots of people mean well, but the cavalry may not be coming. I better be okay with that.

No comments: